Subject: Program: Linking the Environment and Heritage Conservation

Program: Linking the Environment and Heritage Conservation

From: Mary Haude <mhaud<-at->
Date: Friday, February 17, 2012
"Linking the Environment and Heritage Conservation:
    Presentations, Tips, and Discussions"
AIC's 40th Meeting
Albuquerque, NM
Wednesday May 9, 2012
Noon-2pm

Tickets: $8.00 buffet lunch included in the ticket price

The AIC Committee on Sustainable Conservation Practice has organized
a lunch session at AIC's annual meeting with two keynote speakers in
environmental conservation and four tips on art and heritage
conservation. The keynote speakers will give an overview of current
essential issues in environmental conservation and how they relate
to our conservation field. They will also address practical issues
concerning materials and solvent use, and will discuss how green
chemistry applies to our work. We have put ample time aside for an
engaged, educational discussion session. A detailed program is
attached below. Please feel free to circulate.

Keynote Speakers

   "Sustainability and Conservation of the Human Past"

    Braden Allenby, PhD
    Sustainability Scientist
    Global Institute of Sustainability, Arizona State University.
    Lincoln Professor of Engineering and Ethics, School of
    Sustainable Engineering and the Built Environment, Ira A. Fulton
    Schools of Engineering. Director, Center for Earth Systems
    Engineering and Management

   "Environmental Considerations in Art Conservation"
    Assistant Professor
    Dept of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Northeastern
    University Matt Eckelmann, PhD

    Tips Session

   "Benchmarks for sustainability"
    Megan de Silva and Jane Henderson
    lecturers at Cardiff University

  "Retrofit of Existing Exhibition Cases to Conservation Standards:
    A Close Collaboration between Conservators and Fabricators at
    the Smithsonian Institution"
    Jia-sun Tang
    Paintings conservator, Museum Conservation Institute,
    Smithsonian Institution

   "Thinking and Acting Green: A Case Study of the Rehousing of a
    Collection of Footwear from the Brooklyn Children's Museum"
        Christian Hernandez
        Graduate student, Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT)

   "How We Reduced Energy Costs and Maintained an Excellent
    Collections Environment
    Patty Silence
    Preventive conservator, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

   "Electrodeionization as a Sustainable and Practical Option for
    Treatment Water"
    Eliza Gilligan
    Book conservator, University of Virginia

Discussion Panel led by

    Michael Henry, PE, AIA
    Watson and Henry Associates, Preservation Architects and
    Engineers

Session coordinated by AIC's Committee on Sustainable Conservation
Practice. For more information, visit

    <URL:http://www.conservation-us.org/sustainability>

Mary Elizabeth Haude
Senior Paper Conservator