Subject: Service dogs

Service dogs

From: Victoria Gill <victoria.gill<-at->
Date: Monday, February 13, 2012
Juli McLoone <juli.mcloone [at] gmail__com> write

>Has anyone on the list had past experience with service dogs (or
>other animals) in special collections?  Assuming the dogs to be
>well-behaved and well-groomed, does their presence introduce
>additional environmental/preservation concerns?  If there are
>preservation concerns, what steps that can be taken to ameliorate
>the effects of the animal's presence?  I am interested in
>perspectives on these questions with regard not only to the reading
>room, but to workroom and stacks areas.

I have been engaged in a conversation regarding service dogs for the
blind, in other restricted areas. The consensus is that they are
*very* well trained and never soil. They are immaculately cared for
by an owner whose life is totally dependent on them. They often get
manicures and teeth cleaning and are always vaccinated and well more
human than most family pets. In addition to this I do feel the
opportunity to have access and greater inclusion is always something
a community should go the extra mile for.

Victoria Gill
Freelance Conservator

                 Distributed: Monday, February 20, 2012