Subject: Alternative to xylene

Alternative to xylene

From: Simon Moore <couteaufin<-at->
Date: Monday, February 13, 2012
Raymond A. Spiteri <raymond.a.spiteri [at] gov__mt> writews

>We are seeking a less hazardous alternative to xylene to be used in
>solvent mixtures and for dissolving acrylic resins like Paraloid B72
>for eventual use in conservation treatments. ...

I too am looking for an alternative for xylene but to loosen
coverslips on archival microslides mounted with Canada Balsam,
Euparal and the like and, on which, xylene works very well.  If
there is a more user-friendly alternative I would be pleased to hear
of it.  I have had Cumene suggested, since the molecule is close in
structure, but have had no experience with this.

Simon Moore MIScT, FLS, ACR,
Conservator of Natural Science

                 Distributed: Monday, February 20, 2012