Subject: Alternative to xylene

Alternative to xylene

From: Monona Rossol <actsnyc<-at->
Date: Sunday, January 29, 2012
Raymond A. Spiteri <raymond.a.spiteri [at] gov__mt> writews

>We are seeking a less hazardous alternative to xylene to be used in
>solvent mixtures and for dissolving acrylic resins like Paraloid B72
>for eventual use in conservation treatments. Can anyone suggest, or
>has used, a viable alternative. Has anyone used 'Clarify' as an
>alternative to xylene, and if so, is it a viable alternative.

Google doesn't come up with any brand name solvent called Clarify.
Must be very local and you'll need to identify the actual chemicals.
On the theory Clarify might be one of the "natural" solvents which
sometimes function as aromatics, I've addressed them here, too.

It seems you need a light aromatic solvent.  So I looked at all the
usual suspects.

                                            TLV-TWA   MAK-TWA
                                            -------   -------

Benzene                                     0.5ppm    3A----*
Toluene (methyl benzene)                    20 ppm    50 ppm
Xylene (di methyl benzene mixed isomers)    100 ppm   100 ppm
Trimethyl benzene isomers                   25 ppm    20 ppm
Ethyl benzene                               20 ppm    3A----*
Turpentine                                  20 ppm    Sh**
Citrus oil (d-limonene)                     20 ppm    3A----*

*  The German's don't set limits for germ cell mutagens that can
cause damage the embryo (or for human carcinogens).  They think that
it is immoral to set a limit which amounts to deciding how many
fetuses and/or workers it is acceptable to kill.

** The Germans also don't set limits for strong sensitizers.

So you can see xylene is universally thought to be the least toxic
of the light aromatics and you are probably stuck with it.  Even the
aliphatic hydrocarbons such as mineral spirits are all now (as of
2011) in the range of 100 ppm.  So you can't really do better with
any solvent I know about.

Monona Rossol, M.S., M.F.A.
industrial hygienist
Arts, Crafts &Theater Safety, Inc.