Subject: Non-woven fabrics for paper repair

Non-woven fabrics for paper repair

From: Clementine Desmond <clemdesm<-at->
Date: Thursday, February 9, 2012
I am currently doing a study (for my conservation MA) on new
materials (such as polyester woven and non-woven fabric) which can
be used as repairs for paper. Being more elastic than Japanese
paper, they seem promising for heavily damaged paper such as in
movable books where the mechanism stresses the page at any movement.
Unfortunately, I found only a few articles on the subject.

If you have used synthetic materials as paper repairs, or have an
opinion, please reply.

Clementine Desmond
Institut National du Patrimoine
Book Conservation MA