Subject: Calder maguey fiber tapestry

Calder maguey fiber tapestry

From: Jim Lindner <jim<-at->
Date: Monday, February 6, 2012
In the mid 1970's a series of Maguey fiber tapestries were made
based on the work of Alexander Calder. Background information and a
picture of one of them can be seen here, please note the fiber and
braid technique:

    <URL:http://www.nova68.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CA75>

    Please click on the picture to see detail.

I would like to hang the piece in such a way as to minimize any
damage. The piece is currently in excellent condition as it has been
stored rolled since manufacture, but I am concerned that hanging
will damage the piece because 40 years in a tube will have
conditioned the fibers to remain in their current rolled positions.
The material is still flexible. As you can see in the picture, the
piece is woven rather loosely and can be easily deformed by its own
weight if hung. It could be stretched and blocked, although I am not
sure if this would be an appropriate or optimal treatment for this
type of piece.

Although a series of loops were woven in on the reverse side at the
time of production, these likely would no longer hold the weight of
the piece, and would almost cause damage if used.

I could use some recommendations as to the best type and technique
for conserving and hanging this somewhat heavy and fragile woven
piece. If there are recommended vendors that specialize in
performing this type of treatment, I would appreciate
recommendations in the New York City area.

Jim Lindner
jim<-at->media-matters<.>net
Media Matters LLC.
450 West 31st Street 4th Floor