Subject: Alternative to xylene

Alternative to xylene

From: Smadar Gabrieli <smadar.gabrieli<-at->
Date: Monday, February 6, 2012
Raymond A. Spiteri <raymond.a.spiteri [at] gov__mt> writews

>We are seeking a less hazardous alternative to xylene to be used in
>solvent mixtures and for dissolving acrylic resins like Paraloid B72
>for eventual use in conservation treatments. Can anyone suggest, or
>has used, a viable alternative. Has anyone used 'Clarify' as an
>alternative to xylene, and if so, is it a viable alternative.

I don't know of a substitute to xylene for all applications, but
since you specify B72, it is miscible in Acetone and in Ethanol, or
a mixture of the two. So is B67. Change the proportion according to
the necessary working time. When making decision about which one to
use, check also for change of colour - in different situations one
or the other may cause change, while the other doesn't.

                 Distributed: Sunday, February 12, 2012