Subject: Seminar: Lichens, Biofilms, and Gravestones

Seminar: Lichens, Biofilms, and Gravestones

From: Judith M. Jacob <judithmjacob<-at->
Date: Thursday, February 2, 2012
Lichens, Biofilms, and Gravestones
Humboldt Field Research Institute
Steuben, Maine
July 8-14, 2012

Lichens: the symbiotic intergrowth of a fungus with one or more
algae and/or cyanobacteria. Biofilms: algae, fungi, and bacteria
cells held together in a polysaccharide gel. Gravestones: blocks or
slabs of stone used to mark a grave. The gravestones of Maine are
made of local granite and also granite, marble, slate, and sandstone
imported from other New England states and foreign countries.

In this seminar, we will study the physical, chemical, ecological,
and aesthetic relationships between lichens, biofilms, and
gravestones. The cemeteries in Maineas Hancock and Sullivan Counties
are rich with a high diversity of lichen species and offer a prime
opportunity for this study. The seminar will be structured with
lectures, field trips, microscopy sessions, and laboratory studies.

Different lichen species grow on different stone types in different
environments. Lichen growth is influenced by the condition of the
stone, and of the microclimates created by gravestone orientation,
carved inscriptions and decorative features, and paths created by
rainwater run-off. Visual clues of former cleaning and repair
campaigns present themselves in the lichens growing (or not growing)
on gravestones. Biofilms also show diversity with their presence on
different stone types and in different environments. What organisms
make up a biofilm, how biofilms interact with lichen growth (or
not), and to what extent lichens and biofilms protect or harm a
gravestone are questions that will be discussed.

We will present lectures on basic lichen morphology and species
identification; biofilm "morphology;" the role of lichens and
biofilms in the environment; lichen frequency, rarity, and
protection; the history of stone quarrying, finishing, and
gravestone manufacture and assembly; gravestone protection; and
cultural landscape preservation. Field trips are planned for a
number of cemeteries. We will examine and identify lichens and
biofilms in the field and in the laboratory. We will observe the
effects of biocides on lichens and biofilms with laboratory tests.
As a class project, participants will compile a checklist of the
lichen species found during the visits to cemeteries.

We expect participants to represent a wide variety of disciplines
and avocations; the pursuit of individual interests will be
encouraged. While prior knowledge of lichens, biofilms, or
gravestones will be useful for this seminar, it is not necessary.

Judy Jacob is a Senior Conservator with the National Park Service,
Northeast Region, in the New York City Field Office. She works
primarily on stone monuments and masonry buildings; her work in
cemeteries includes preparation of preservation plans and execution
of stabilization and repair treatments for gravestones.

Michaela Schmull, PhD., is a lichenologist and the Research and
Curatorial Associate at the Farlow Herbarium, Harvard University.
Her research interests include lichen ecology, biodiversity, and
systematics. She has taught classes in plant microscopy, plant
identification, and lichens and air pollution.

For more information:

    <URL:http://www.eaglehill.us/programs/nhs/nhs-calendar.shtml>

                 Distributed: Monday, February 6, 2012