Subject: Plastination

Plastination

From: Peter Juga <peter.juga<-at->
Date: Monday, January 23, 2012
Libby Frostick <l.frostick [at] hotmail__com> writes

>... I am currently writing my dissertation on the
>conservation of bog bodies. The focus of my dissertation is the use
>of the anatomical technique of plastination on the remains,
>comparing and contrasting this method with that of the freeze-drying
>technique, and examining the suitability of each method.

There is one major thing to be considered regarding plastination
which is a possibility for further research.

Unlike freeze-drying which certainly causes some shrinkage and
uneven drying of the specimen, an introduction of resin and
silicones will. in my understanding, considerably limit chances for
further research of any chemical nature.

There were however attempts to slow down shrinkage of tanned leather
treated in freeze-drying process by application of different
substances used in waterlogged wood conservation. I did myself some
initial research on sustainability of these chemicals for the
purpose of restoration of full-leather bound books.  But these
results cannot be applied directly to objects of greater volume, nor
to un-tanned anatomical specimens.

Peter Juga
Conservator
Seven Stories