Subject: Shelving

Shelving

From: Helena Jaeschke <helenajaeschke<-at->
Date: Monday, January 16, 2012
J'Laine Newcombe <jnewcombe [at] verobeachmuseum__org> writes

>We are creating a new matting and framing shop and would like to
>design a large vertical bin system to house framed three-dimensional
>works temporarily.  I am having trouble finding any current
>resources that list/discuss recommended products that would be the
>most safe archivally and have the least problem with off-gassing.  I
>was thinking something similar to a Sintra type product might be
>best?

There is a very handy factsheet at

    <URL:http://tinyurl.com/75s8ln8>

Sintra is a closed cell PVC (poly vinyl chloride) foamboard, so I
would not recommend it for use near objects. A polythene foam could
be used to line a rigid board, or a board could be sealed with a
barrier foil or vapor-seal film such as Moistop or Marvelseal or
varnished with a suitable acrylic varnish such as Dacrylate 103-1.

It would be helpful if some of the important factors in choosing the
material for the shelving were listed--is weight a factor?

Helena Jaeschke
Conservation Development Officer
Renaissance Southwest

                 Distributed: Sunday, January 22, 2012