Subject: Killing pests with microwaves

Killing pests with microwaves

From: David Cottier-Angeli <dca<-at->
Date: Tuesday, January 10, 2012
Would someone have scientific references and more general
information on suggested technologies to kill some historical
building wood beam pests?  They have yet not responded to repeated
standard fumigation, anoxia and injection treatments, mainly due to
lack of access. The life cycle seems to be between 4-5 years before
becoming fast-growing adults.  Please do not ask his name, as I have
had inconsistent identifications, but life is certainly there as
fresh saw dust is produced repeatedly and in high quantity.

The now suggested method is to uses microwaves (frequencies between
300 MHz (0.3 GHz) and 300 GHz) set to heat up to 60 deg. C.

Thank you for your help as this as timber is not my specific field
of knowledge.

David Cottier-Angeli
Associated Member of the Swiss Chamber of Technical and Scientific
Forensic Experts
5C Route des Jeunes
CH-1227 Geneva
+41 22 300 19 55