Subject: Ethical and aesthetic issues in conservation of an easel painting

Ethical and aesthetic issues in conservation of an easel painting

From: Jelena Zagora <jelenzagor<-at->
Date: Saturday, January 7, 2012
I am a conservation-restoration student at the Arts Academy in
Split, Croatia. I am currently working on my Master thesis, the
conservation treatment of a 17th century retable painting
representing Our Lady of Mount Carmel and The Baptism of Christ.

The painting is missing its stretcher and it has been trimmed. It
is, however, quite possible to reconstruct its original dimensions,
as there is another painting in the same church with identical
iconography, dating from the 18th century. The later painting
replaced the earlier one in the 18th century, but the altar is
unfortunately lost.

In order to strengthen the original canvas and to be able to attach
the painting to a new stretcher, the painting will have to be lined.
It has been decided that the original size of the painting will be
simulated or reconstructed. The question is how to achieve this in
an aesthetically acceptable manner and in compliance with
conservation ethics.

I've managed to find one example similar (to some extent ) to the
problem I am trying to solve: The Execution of Maximilian by E.
Manet. A short description of this painting's history can be found
on the website of the National Gallery in London:

    <URL:http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/
        paintings/edouard-manet-the-execution-of-maximilian>

    **** Moderator's comments: The above URL has been wrapped for
    email. There should be no newline.

Any treatment documentation or literature on this issue would be of
great help. If someone has come across an easel painting with
similar problems, I would be grateful for sharing any useful
information.

Jelena Zagora
Student, Conservation-Restoration Department
Arts Academy of the University of Split
Fausta Vrancica 17
21000 Split, Croatia

                  Distributed: Monday, January 9, 2012