Subject: Why I Give to CoOL

Why I Give to CoOL

From: Nancie Ravenel <nravenel<-a>
Date: Tuesday, December 27, 2011
Why I Give to CoOL
Nancie Ravenel

Objects Conservator, Shelburne Museum, Shelburne, Vermont, USA

It's an amazing resource--this freely available repository of the
intellectual output for the field of preservation and conservation.
It's the first place I look when there's some new conservation
problem I'm asked to address. Chances are there's a resource or link
on CoOL that will help me start navigating that decision-making
process. If there's not a resource or link on CoOL, I can turn to
the Conservation DistList, where I'm connected with more than 10,000
colleagues from over 92 countries. I rely on CoOL to give me  access
to much of the literature that helps me do my job.

And I remember what it felt like when it went away in 2009. It
happened without warning, and it was shocking. Within eight days,
FAIC assumed responsibility for CoOL and the Conservation DistList
and three months later the first DistList instance appeared on
cool.conservation-us.org. It felt great to be reconnected.

I want to thank Walter Henry for creating and managing this resource
for us all. I want to support him in his work, even if it is just a
small token. I want this resource to be more than simply maintained.
I want to see it improve and grow. The more conservators who
contribute financially to CoOL, even in a small way, the more FAIC
can tell other funders how important this resource is to our field
in a way they understand.

So what about you? Will you consider sending a donation in support
of CoOL?

You can donate on line at www.conservation-us.org/donate, or mail a
check to:

  Foundation of the American Institute for Conservation (FAIC)
  1156 15th Street, NW, Suite 320
  Washington, DC  20005

Thank you for your participation and support.

                Distributed: Saturday, December 31, 2011