Subject: Artist's books

Artist's books

From: Amanda Malkin <ahm7771<-a>
Date: Wednesday, December 21, 2011
    **** Moderator's comments: Please respond directly to the author.

I am currently a graduate student studying the conservation of works
of art on paper at Northumbria University in Newcastle, UK. I am in
the process of carrying out research to support my dissertation,
which focuses on the conservation concerns and innovations, related
to the treatment of three-dimensional artists' books.

I would like to connect, through email, with paper and/or book
conservators whom have treated these objects, or have degraded
artists' books in need of treatment, and are willing and open to
discuss both the condition of the work prior to treatment, as well
as the success of the treatment carried out. This email functions to
purely inquire about your interest and ability in contributing to my
study of treatment of these objects.

The goal of the research is to gain an understanding and identify
similarities, if any, of the issues surrounding the condition of
three-dimensional artists' books. Further, this research endeavors
to create a resource of the innovative methods paper conservators
have devised in order to carry out treatment. I'm particularly
interested in methods used to support conservation treatment (i.e.
customized structural supports), the use of alternative materials
outside the realm of traditional conservation (i.e. magnets or other
innovative materials) and the need or want to replace degraded
non-traditional artist materials and the ethics behind those
decisions.

Please email me at ahm7771<-a t->gmail< . >com if you would like to contribute
to this research. Suggestions, opinions or other forms of
communication are more than welcome.

Amanda Malkin
MA Conservation of Fine Art
Works of Art on Paper