Subject: FM 200 fire suppression system

FM 200 fire suppression system

From: Christina Amato <xamato<-a>
Date: Tuesday, December 20, 2011
As a follow up to the previous discussion on fire suppression
systems, we would like to add a few questions. We are researching
the FM-200 fire suppression system for use in one of our book vaults
with compact shelving. We are interested in hearing about which
systems other institutions are using, as well as actual experiences
with the FM-200 system specifically. Are there any health issues
associated with the gas? Has there been any research done on how the
gas affects pigments or other materials? Is there any data available
on its effectiveness in extinguishing fires: has anybody heard
of/seen a tank run empty, resulting in the fire not being
extinguished? Are institutions using a back- up system with it, and
if so, what kind? We would appreciate any information on the
subject.

Christina Amato
Conservation Intern
Folger Shakespeare Library