Subject: Mounting tapestries

Mounting tapestries

From: Julie O'Connor <joconnor<-a>
Date: Wednesday, December 14, 2011
Regina Hollinger <regina.hoellinger [at] gmx__net> writes

>As a student from the University of Applied Arts - Department of
>Conservation in Vienna, I am working on my pre-diploma project about
>the presentation of tapestries from the 18th century in the original
>historic room. ...

One method of textile mounting which deserves consideration in
addition to other methods is nap bonding, i.e. using the nap surface
of a fabric for light mechanical bonding. Fabrics would include
brushed cottons, velvets and velveteens which have a cut or brushed
pile. The fibre content would still need to be compatible with the
substrate of the historical textile. The napped fabric can be
attached to a stretcher or strainer.

Julie O'Connor
Senior Textile Conservator
Australian National Maritime Museum