Subject: Adhesive for damaged insects

Adhesive for damaged insects

From: Simon Moore <couteaufin<-a>
Date: Monday, December 12, 2011
Carla Pike <cpike [at] canterburymuseum__com> writes

>I am currently working as earthquake project conservator for objects
>damaged in the Christchurch earthquakes.  Among the objects to be
>repaired are a number of insects whose broken wings, antenna, etc
>need to be reattached. I am told that repairs of this kind have been
>done by volunteers in the past using superglue.  I am researching to
>find a more suitable adhesive for this, i.e., one that can be
>applied in small amounts and that dries quickly, but that also has
>some conservation qualities, i.e., reversibility and good aging
>properties, etc.  Does anybody have suggestions?

I have always used neutral pH PVA for this.  It is fairly slow at
setting but not too slow and gives you time to make
micro-adjustments.  Reversible in water but takes a while to
reverse.  It can be applied using a mounted needle and your
specimens will require small pinned paper triangles to support
detached appendages during the drying process.  Broken and shattered
wings can be underlaid using fine Gampi tissue (10gsm) but you only
get one go at it!  The scales on lepidopteran wings tend to reject
the glue at fist but persist and you will succeed. I have had
excellent results.

Simon Moore MIScT, FLS, ACR,
Conservator of Natural Sciences,

                 Distributed: Sunday, December 18, 2011