Subject: Dust in historic rooms

Dust in historic rooms

From: Bill Wei <b.wei<-a>
Date: Monday, December 12, 2011
Regina Hollinger <regina.hoellinger [at] gmx__net> writes

>As students from the University of Applied Arts - Department of
>Conservation in Vienna, we are working on our pre-diploma project
>about the presentation of an original historic room and its
>tapestries and upholstered furniture from the 18th century.
>We would be most grateful for any recommendations you could offer,
>as well as any experiences or literature tips to these issues.

As a start, you might want to look at the work conducted in Great
Britain by, among others, Helen Lloyd of the National Trust. See

   <URL:http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-collections-dust>

Peter Brimblecombe and Stuart Adams of the University of East
Anglia, Kate Hatlett, Historic Royal Palaces, and others. We have
used their results to further develop a simple method for monitoring
dust using gloss measurements, and stickers used in scanning
electron microscopy. This is described in the following publication,
which also (hopefully) cites most of the relevant work by the above
groups at the time of the writing of the paper. This gloss
measurement technique is now used at several Dutch museums to
monitor the rate at which dust collects.

    W. Wei, I. Joosten, K. Keim, H. Douna, W. Mekking, M. Reuss and
    J. Wagemakers.
    "Experience with Dust Measurements in Three Dutch Museums", ZKK
    Zeitschrift fur Kunsttechnologie und Konservierung, 21-2-261-269
    (2007).

Dr. W. (Bill) Wei
Senior conservation scientist
Netherlands Institute for Cultural Heritage
PO Box 1600
NL-3800 BP Amersfoort
The Netherlands

                 Distributed: Sunday, December 18, 2011