Subject: Dust in historic rooms

Dust in historic rooms

From: Regina Hollinger <regina.hoellinger<-a>
Date: Saturday, December 3, 2011
As students from the University of Applied Arts - Department of
Conservation in Vienna, we are working on our pre-diploma project
about the presentation of an original historic room and its
tapestries and upholstered furniture from the 18th century.

The visitor numbers are quite high. Therefore a main focus of the
project is how to prevent dust on the objects. A method for
monitoring dust accumulation and a cleaning concept for objects and
room should be developed. The sources of dust and the damage caused
by dust to the historic materials should be determined by analysis
of dust samples. The risks of cleaning objects should also be
evaluated.

We would be most grateful for any recommendations you could offer,
as well as any experiences or literature tips to these issues.

Regina Hollinger and Heidrun Wallmann
Students, Department of Conservation
University of Applied Arts Vienna

                 Distributed: Sunday, December 11, 2011