Subject: Mounting tapestries

Mounting tapestries

From: Regina Hollinger <regina.hoellinger<-a>
Date: Saturday, December 3, 2011
As a student from the University of Applied Arts - Department of
Conservation in Vienna, I am working on my pre-diploma project about
the presentation of tapestries from the 18th century in the original
historic room. The project deals with the advantages and
disadvantages of a vertical hanging presentation of the tapestries
or exhibiting them at a slight angle on a board. For the last method
I should find and evaluate possible materials and constructions for
the board and the covering fabrics and give recommendations about
the best angle of the board.

The evaluation of lining materials for the tapestries (at the moment
they are lined with cotton twill) and the method of support
stitching as well as the mounting of the tapestries on the
board/wall is another issue.

Now only two of the four tapestries are displayed at any time and
are changed every three years to avoid permanent hanging. The empty
space of the stored textiles should be filled with printed
reproductions in the future. As two of the tapestries are hanging on
an outer wall of the building, the cold-wall-problem and the
subsequent dust accumulation are also topics to be included.

I would be most grateful for any recommendations you could offer, as
well as any experiences or literature tips to these issues.

Regina Hollinger
Student, Department of Conservation
University of Applied Arts Vienna

                 Distributed: Sunday, December 11, 2011