Subject: Adhesive for damaged insects

Adhesive for damaged insects

From: Carla Pike <cpike<-a>
Date: Wednesday, December 7, 2011
I am currently working as earthquake project conservator for objects
damaged in the Christchurch earthquakes.  Among the objects to be
repaired are a number of insects whose broken wings, antenna, etc
need to be reattached. I am told that repairs of this kind have been
done by volunteers in the past using superglue.  I am researching to
find a more suitable adhesive for this, i.e., one that can be
applied in small amounts and that dries quickly, but that also has
some conservation qualities, i.e., reversibility and good aging
properties, etc.  Does anybody have suggestions?

Carla Pike
Earthquake Recovery Project Conservator
Canterbury Museum
Rolleston Avenue, Christchurch 8013