Subject: Synthetic resins

Synthetic resins

From: Barbara Appelbaum <aandh<-a>
Date: Monday, December 5, 2011
Ian Nurock <inurock [at] yahoo__co__uk> writes

>... I will be comparing Paraloid B72 to a few
>dispersions: Primal B60A, Primal (Rhoplex) AC-33, Primal WS24 and
>Rhoplex AC-234. I will be asking the question why B72 has become so
>popular with conservators when in some cases other polymers are just
>as adequate? ...

I suggest you look carefully at several articles (Down et al., SIC
41 and, I think in an IIC conference on adhesives) about testing
emulsions and resins used in conservation.  Much of the testing was
for properties that are very difficult to connect to conservation
use, and if I recall correctly, results from different researchers
did not match up very well.

In terms of use in conservation, the difference in behavior between
aqueous and solvent-based adhesives is a major factor not linked to
other properties like aging. Removability, on the other hand, is no
contest. There are other pitfalls--color change in emulsions is not
an indication of aging, but the opposite; pH readings sometimes
change radically during the drying process.

Before you get started on a perilous journey, I suggest that you try
to figure out what kind of results would actually help conservators
make better decision on adhesive choice. I also suggest that you
speak to the people who have done similar testing.

Barbara Appelbaum
Appelbaum and Himmelstein
444 Central Park West
New York NY 10025