Subject: Latex-free respirator

Latex-free respirator

From: Monona Rossol <actsnyc<-a>
Date: Monday, November 28, 2011
Strachan Kirsten <kirsten.strachan [at] sciencemuseum__org__uk>
writes

>Carol Wickenhiser-Schaudt <watercolorist [at] schaudt__us> writes
>
>>Due to chemical sensitivities, I am in need of a latex-free
>>respirator ...
>>can find latex-free respirators for use with dust, but not one for
>>chemicals. Would any of you know where I can purchase one?
>
>I have also had similar experiences with respirators. I was working
>with large quantities of mould over a long period and had to use
>respirators. After a while I found that I had become desensitised to
>the latex and silicone in the mask I was using.
>
>I did find a solution to this. I started to use Bodyguards
>FFP3,Which are suitable for they type of work you want to do (FFP3)

There is an interesting study on surgical masks and comparison of
these to the FFP3 British standard masks at

    <URL:http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr619.pdf>

I was interested that the Brits came to the same conclusion that
NIOSH and the Canadian health services came to that these masks
"necessitate correct maintenance, correct storage, fit testing and
use by trained personnel."  In fact, a US study showed a 60% failure
rate in staff that were not fit tested first.

Make sure you get fit testing and training from either your employer
or an Occupational Medical Clinic.  In addition, the FFP respirators
are designed for about 99% protection from particulates only--no
solvents or other types of contaminates.  And the best ones have
foam rubber on the edge to get a better seal, which puts you right
back where you were.

FFP and cartridge respirators are great as long as we really
understand their use and limits.

Monona

                 Distributed: Sunday, December 11, 2011