Subject: Poultices for cleaning marble

Poultices for cleaning marble

From: Sophie Haake <s.haake<-a>
Date: Monday, December 5, 2011
Anna E. Graff <annaegraff [at] gmail__com> writes

>We are working on a white marble statue that was in a public
>building, in a public area (not in a museum) and it would be touched
>by people walking by.  It ended up with a brownish, greasy residue
>on parts of it.  Most of this we have been able to remove using
>deionized water and Orvus.  However, we think we can still make it
>look a bit better.  Does anyone have any ideas on safe cleaning
>agents for marble, or poultices that would help to remove the
>remainder of the residue?

Did you already try steam cleaning with low pressure and deionized
water? It works pretty well on marble with greasy dirt and you don't
need any soap. It would also work in combination with a poultice of
Arbocell before to soak the dirt, but you might not need it.

Dipl. Restauratorin (FH) Sophie Haake-Harig
Antikensammlung
Staatliche Museen zu Berlin
Stiftung Preussischer Kulturbesitz
Bodestr. 1-3