Subject: Erasers

Erasers

From: Maxwell Malden <maxwellkayjay<-a>
Date: Wednesday, November 30, 2011
Research project on the use of erasers in conservation cleaning

I am conducting a research paper focussing on the use of erasers in
the mechanical cleaning of stone, plaster and metal. I am hoping to
get a better idea of the types of erasers that are used by
conservators and that you may be able to help me by telling me what,
if any, erasers you use in your work and for what material.
Additionally, it would be useful to know if you have reported any
problems (or specific benefits) with using such materials.

My paper will be concerned primarily with the reported problem of
silicone oil residue being deposited on surfaces following
treatment, but I will be investigating the properties of all types
of rubber used within the profession.

I will post my conclusions on here by July 2012.

Maxwell Malden
City and Guilds of London Art School
124 Kennington Park Road
London SE11 4DJ