Subject: Poultices for cleaning marble

Poultices for cleaning marble

From: Anna E. Graff <annaegraff<-a>
Date: Wednesday, November 30, 2011
We are working on a white marble statue that was in a public
building, in a public area (not in a museum) and it would be touched
by people walking by.  It ended up with a brownish, greasy residue
on parts of it.  Most of this we have been able to remove using
deionized water and Orvus.  However, we think we can still make it
look a bit better.  Does anyone have any ideas on safe cleaning
agents for marble, or poultices that would help to remove the
remainder of the residue?

Anna Graff

                Distributed: Saturday, December 3, 2011