Subject: Latex-free respirator

Latex-free respirator

From: Strachan Kirsten <kirsten.strachan<-a>
Date: Friday, November 25, 2011
Carol Wickenhiser-Schaudt <watercolorist [at] schaudt__us> writes

>Due to chemical sensitivities, I am in need of a latex-free
>respirator so that I can work with turpentine or mineral spirits. I
>can find latex-free respirators for use with dust, but not one for
>chemicals. Would any of you know where I can purchase one?

I have also had similar experiences with respirators. I was working
with large quantities of mould over a long period and had to use
respirators. After a while I found that I had become desensitised to
the latex and silicone in the mask I was using.

I did find a solution to this. I started to use Bodyguards
FFP3,Which are suitable for they type of work you want to do (FFP3)
are the British standard they are a Filtering face piece. It
provides a high level of filtering capability and face fit. It can
be supplied with an exhale valve so that it can be worn comfortably
over a fairly long period of time these are masks that are
disposable and I found out about them from people in the medical
profession. These masks are designed for people who are sensitive to
latex, a problem also found by medical staff by becoming
desensitised to the latex from long exposure over a long period. I
still use them when required and are very much part of my
equipment..

It may be worth asking the medical profession what brands they use,
as they seem to have a lot of people with similar reactions to you
and me, to the Latex.

I also used an Airshield Pro Respirator which is a battery powered
face shield, this is a Combination face-seal and hood to improve
protection the face shield worked because it did not touch my face
but worked from a health and safety point as well. This was used on
a daily basis and seemed to prevent any further allergic reaction.

                 Distributed: Sunday, November 27, 2011