Subject: Call for papers--Icon Metals Group Conference on ethics

Call for papers--Icon Metals Group Conference on ethics

From: Tsolis Efstathios <stathis.tsolis<-a>
Date: Tuesday, November 15, 2011
Call for Papers

"Do our codes of ethics inform and support conservation today"
Icon Metals Group in Association with Cardiff University
Cardiff University

Fee UKP50.00, to include refreshments and lunch

This is a CPD certified event

This one day conference will be informal and inclusive and invites
the conservation community together to help evaluate how ethics have
influenced our profession in the past and how they might define our
future.

Ethics should always underpin conservation but do we fully
understand the complex nature of how they might influence our
decision making process.

Promoting ethical awareness is not all about what is right and what
is wrong it is being able to apply a cultural and social
responsibility that fundamentally underwrites our core values.

This event is a must for those seeking an introduction to ethics or
those who would like to update their professional working knowledge
of ethics in conservation.

The programme will be delivered and chaired by an expert panel
selected to provide a wide spectrum of experience and knowledge
drawn from across the museum and heritage community.

The day will follow a "Question Time" type format encouraging
diverse and searching discussion.

We welcome challenging case studies or thought provoking
hypothetical scenarios.

Presentations will be 7 minutes covering 5 core subjects followed by
discussion and spread over 4 sessions

    Assessing the impact of access and operation on collections

    Quantifying the influence of statutory legislation within
    conservation

    Examination of the market trends and collection care criteria
    driving object disposal and ethical dispersal

    Assessment of how the governments "Big Society" ideology is
    defining the need for sustainable knowledge transfer and
    volunteer training

    The relevance of a code of ethics in relation to professional
    practice

A full conference programme and booking form will be available early
2012

To submit a presentation or register an interest please contact Ian
Clark <ian<-a t->ianclarkrestoration< . >com> or telephone +44 7836 536932 or
follow updates for this event on Facebook:
<URL:http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=293891913974620>

Stathis Tsolis, Conservator
ICON Metals Group Web Editor
The National Railway Museum