Subject: AV Artifact Atlas

AV Artifact Atlas

From: Hannah Frost <hfrost<-a>
Date: Tuesday, November 15, 2011
I am pleased to announce the availability of a new information
resource for our community, the AV Artifact Atlas:

    <URL:http://preservation.bavc.org/artifactatlas/>.

The Artifact Atlas is a reference guide that includes terminology,
explanations, and examples (clips and images) of the technical
issues and anomalies that can afflict audio and video signals.

The purpose of the Atlas is to support media preservation workers
who may have questions about issues they encounter while playing
back or reformatting original media content.

The Artifact Atlas is a project of the Stanford Media Preservation
Lab, New York University, and the Bay Area Video Coalition.  We
think this resource will be useful to students, practicing
archivists, and media-reformatting service providers alike, by
enabling us to develop and apply common terminology to identify and
describe the technical problems in our content that reveal
themselves in reformatting workflows or other playback and
preservation processes.

The Artifact Atlas is a wiki, and so by its very nature, a
work-in-progress.  We encourage community involvement in building
out the Atlas. If you interested in becoming a content contributor
or have any feedback at all, please let us know by sending a message
to avaa-contact<-a t->lists< . >stanford< . >edu.

I'll be delivering a presentation about the Atlas at AMIA this week;
come to the session titled "We Are What We Repeatedly Do: Applying
Aristotle to Quality" on Thursday at 4 pm if you want to learn more.

See you in Austin,

Hannah Frost
Manager, Stanford Media Preservation Lab and
Services Manager, Stanford Digital Repository
Stanford University Libraries

                Distributed: Tuesday, November 22, 2011