Subject: Charcoal air filters

Charcoal air filters

From: Conor McMahon <conor.mcmahon<-a>
Date: Monday, October 31, 2011
I am attempting to mitigate pollutants and off-gassing products in
an exhibit environment.  The current exhibit is a recreation of a
"trophy room" from a historic horse farm.  The display is an
enclosed room, approximately 10 feet x 10 feet.  It features wood
paneling and wood shelves.  Approximately 100 silver and 100 gold
plated trophies are on display in the exhibit.

The trophies are showing signs of minor tarnish/corrosion.  Long
terms plans include removing the real wood from the exhibit and
replacing it with aluminum painted with a faux wood finish.

In the short term I'm looking to placing an air filter or scrubber
in the room.  I was planning on using an activated charcoal based
filter unless there is better option.  In searching for a self
contained filter system I was quickly overwhelmed by the array of
options available.

Does anyone have experience with using a small contained unit in an
exhibition setting.  I'm looking for recommendations of specific
models or manufacturers if possible.

Conor McMahon
Curator of Collections
International Museum of the Horse