Subject: Position at Science Museum, London

Position at Science Museum, London

From: Duggan Emma <emma.duggan<-a>
Date: Friday, October 28, 2011
Objects Conservator
Blythe House
Science Museum, London

Salary: UKP23,970 pa inclusive of allowances

Job ref: CONBH/OCT2011

The Science Museum was founded in 1857 with object shown at the
Great Exhibition held in Crystal Palace. Today the Museum is world
renowned for its historic collections, awe inspiring galleries and
inspirational exhibitions.

The Science Museum is seeking a flexible and enthusiastic Objects
Conservator to provide high quality interventive conservation
treatments. The post holder will be based at the Blythe House object
storage facility in Olympia and support our busy exhibition, loan,
storage compression and collecting programme.

Blythe House was built in the early twentieth century as the
headquarters of the Post Office Savings Bank and now used as a
storage facility for small and medium sized objects of the reserve
collections.

Your recognised conservation qualification or similar experience
will be supported by demonstrable skills in interventive and
preventive museum object conservation across a broad spectrum of
materials. Experience working with scientific, technological,
engineering, modern materials, medical or similar collections is an
advantage, as well as working with exhibitions installation.

Our loans programme is co-ordinated with colleagues across NMSI and
borrowing institutions, and so you will be advising on conservation,
condition and installation; acting as a courier when required, so a
professional, pragmatic and flexible outlook is required.

You will be able to supervise volunteers and conservation interns,
provide advice and support to colleagues working within the
exhibitions, documentation and registry teams and have an active
role in exhibitions projects at the Science Museum. The role will
also support collections hazard work and will be trained to act as a
Radiation Protection Officer.

You will have excellent interpersonal skills and be confident
communicating with a wide range of people.  You will have
demonstrable skills in problem solving and prioritising, which will
be supported by your previous experience within a museum and
cultural heritage environment.

We have a similar vacancy for an Object Conservator post based at
the South Kensington site supporting our busy exhibition programme.
For further information please see our website

For further information about the Science Museum, a full job
description and details of how to apply, please visit

    <URL:http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/jobs>

from Monday 31 October 2011 quoting reference: CONBH/OCT2011

If you have any specific questions about the position please e-mail

    Emma Duggan
    Conservation and Collections Care Manager
    Blythe House
    Emma.Duggan<-a t->sciencemuseum< . >org< . >uk

Closing date: Friday 11 November 2011
Interviews will be held week commencing Monday 21 November 2011

We welcome applications from all sections of the community in which
we work. We particularly welcome applications from disabled people
and we guarantee interviews to suitably qualified disabled
applicants.

Emma Duggan
Conservation and Collections Care Manager, Blythe House
Science Museum
Blythe House
23, Blythe Road
London W14 0QX