Subject: Wet and oily leather

Wet and oily leather

From: Kory Berrett <kory<-a>
Date: Tuesday, October 25, 2011
I am advising a military history museum that has an extensive
collection of archaeological materials excavated in the 1960s,
including a large number of leather artifacts treated with neatsfoot
oil and British Museum Leather Dressing in the 60s and 70s. Many of
these artifacts now exhibit white bloom that looks like fuzzy white
mold but is actually deterioration products of the oils and fats
used to saturate the leather. I would like to correspond with anyone
who has experience in dealing with this issue on a large scale.

Kory Berrett
Berrett Conservation Studio
401 Covered Bridge Lane
Oxford PA 19363