Subject: Planorama cabinets

Planorama cabinets

From: Chris French <chris.french<-a>
Date: Friday, October 21, 2011
Cihat Uzun <objectconservation [at] yahoo__com> writes

>We are going to buy cabinet with drawer 10 mm height for photograph
>storage. We found planorama at Conservation By Design, Ltd.). We
>have some concerns about its materials (anodized aluminum, inert
>polyester, etc.) and need detailed technical specification about
>these cabinet materials. ...

Conservation By Design <URL:http://www.conservation-by-design.co.uk>
manufacture the Planorama cabinets at our factory in Bedford and
take great care in the choice of materials to ensure safe use for
the long term storage of cultural heritage. The aluminium is hard
anodised to resist corrosion and the polyester base of the drawers
mentioned is Melinex. These materials are generally agreed to be
stable and do not give off any harmful gasses. We also use other non
reactive materials for the drawer bases and these are chosen
according to the size of drawer, application and weight they have to
carry.

Where appropriate new materials will be subjected to the "Oddy" test
to prove suitability.

Planorama is a flexible, custom made modular system designed for
conservation. It has many unique features including the ability to
provide drawers of only 10 mm in depth. A standard module of 768 mm
30-3-4 inches) in height will hold 64 drawers.

We are happy to supply detailed specifications for the materials
used and answer any questions that will help our clients choose the
right materials and get the best possible product for their
requirement.

Christopher French
Product Manager
Conservation By Design Limited