Subject: Museum of Microscopy

Museum of Microscopy

From: Joseph R. Swider <jswider<-a>
Date: Thursday, October 13, 2011
The McCrone Group is in the planning stages of creating a museum of
microscopy to be housed in our facility in Westmont, IL. The
collection, with hundreds of items of antique microscopes and rare
books on microscopy, many dating back to the 17th and 18th
centuries, is the personal collection of our CEO. Since we are in
the planning phases in designing the museum layout and in particular
storage cases, we are concerned with environmental control and
security. Can anyone suggest consulting/conservation firms for
designing storage cases for both microscopes (most are metal, some
are wood) and rare books and their security? A firm in the Chicago
area would be ideal. Any general thoughts would also be greatly
appreciated.

Joe Swider
Senior Research Scientist
McCrone Associates