Subject: Calder Red

Calder Red

From: Robert Lodge <mckaylodge<-a>
Date: Thursday, September 29, 2011
I am interested in conversations with anyone having knowledge of,
use of, planning for any durable modern mat (not exceeding 5 GU)
industrial coating to replace the mat alkyd coatings of the past for
refinishing exterior sculptures by Alexander Calder in "Calder Red."

We have had a major coatings manufacturer in the U.S. successfully
formulate an excellent mat replacement by modification of a moisture
cure urethane and that still meets most U.S. VOC restrictions.  But
I am interested in all possible alternatives, in and outside the
United States.

I am also interested in variations in Calder Red color and
deviations from "La Grande Vitesse" (Grand Rapids, MI) and
"Flamingo" (Chicago, IL), the colors of which have been maintained
with consistent accuracy (and always matching each other) from their
first coatings and happen to match closely Federal Standard 595C No.
31310 but slightly darker (if you need a color reference).

Contact me for a simple history of Calder Red in the United States
if interested and names of past providers of Calder Red paint.

Robert G. Lodge
President
McKay Lodge Conservation Laboratory, Inc.
at the Ohio Conservation Center
10915 Pyle South Amherst Road
Oberlin Ohio 44074
440-774-4215