Subject: Position at Hunterian Museum

Position at Hunterian Museum

From: Sam Alberti <salberti<-a>
Date: Wednesday, September 21, 2011
Assistant Conservator
Trainee position
The Hunterian Museum
The Royal College of Surgeons of England

UKP20,000 pa (36 month contract starting 4 January 2012) Central
London

Deadline: 2 Oct. 2011

This is part of an exciting 3-year project, 'Endangered Specimens,
Endangered Skills', kindly supported by the John Ellerman Foundation
and the Trustees of the Hunterian Collection, to address the
conservation needs of the 'wet' specimens in our collection and to
fill a skills gap in natural science museum conservation.

I would be grateful if you might forward this to any students,
volunteers, colleagues, lists etc. that you think might be
interested. The candidate need not have specific skills in this
particular area--it's a training post--but rather a commitment to
museum conservation.

    <URL:http://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/ADF963/assistant-conservator>

With a worldwide reputation for educational excellence and
state-of-the art teaching facilities, the Royal College of Surgeons
of England is committed to enabling surgeons to achieve and maintain
the highest standards of surgical practice and patient care. Our
Museums and archives, including the renowned Hunterian Museum, offer
a fascinating and vital insight into medical history and are an
invaluable teaching aid that need constant care and attention.

As part of the Museums and Archives team, in this training post you
will learn the skills involved in caring for comparative and human
anatomy across the RCS collections. As well as auditing, monitoring
and recording the integrity of our collections, you'll clean and
maintain items, monitor the environmental conditions in the museums
and stores and dispose of conservation waste material safely.
Remedial conservation such as preserving, mounting and refurbishing
will also be an important part of the role, as will ordering the
necessary materials and equipment and working with the Head of
Conservation to refine and develop efficient and safe conservation
techniques. Last but not least, you'll recruit, induct and supervise
the volunteers working on zoological materials within the museums.

Ideally with a relevant degree or museum qualification, but
definitely holding a level 3 vocational qualification or equivalent,
you also have practical experience of working in a museum or similar
environment. A sound understanding of safe practice in the workplace
is also essential, including awareness of Health and Safety issues.
Reliable, consistent and with a 'can-do' approach, you're adept with
Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Outlook and Excel.
What's more, you have clear communication skills, an openness to new
ideas and the ability to follow technical instructions. The post
involves coming into contact with heavy objects and some hazardous
chemicals for which full training will be given. Any experience of
handling human or animal tissues in a museum or laboratory context
would also be an advantage.

For further information on this role and to apply please visit

    <URL:http://www.rcseng.ac.uk/about/working>

using reference 25/11.

Closing date: 2 October 2011

We are an employer fully committed to our equality and diversity
policies. We will judge you on your abilities and nothing else.

Dr Sam Alberti
Director of Museums and Archives
The Royal College of Surgeons of England
35-43 Lincoln's Inn Fields
London WC2A 3PE
+44 20 7869 6570
Fax: +44 20 7869 6564