Subject: Plants in galleries

Plants in galleries

From: Rachael Perkins Arenstein <rachael<-a>
Date: Thursday, September 22, 2011
Karen Potje <kpotje [at] cca__qc__ca> writes

>I would like to hear from anyone who has made an exception to the
>"No live plants in the galleries" rule, including the reason for
>allowing plants in a display area and precautions taken to avoid
>problems caused by possible pests and the need to water the plants.
>The Canadian Centre for Architecture is planning an exhibition on
>forests and the curator would like to display some live
>plants--including trees.  My initial reaction is just to say "No"
>but perhaps there is a way to allow him to realise his curatorial
>vision. ...

I had an interesting experience while working at a natural history
museum on its first foray into live exhibits.  There was a very
steep learning curve but some of the lessons might prove useful to
you.  The exhibit was a butterfly vivarium so the focus was
obviously creating a sustainable environment and as a result, a lot
of energy went into the plantings.  For the health of the
butterflies we had specified that the plants be pesticide free.  One
thing we learned is that ornamental plants are all generally treated
with pesticides.  For our purposes that was a problem, but if you
are using ornamental plants for you that would be a good thing as it
should ensure that plants come into your gallery pest free.  However
I did see various little insects present after the exhibit was up
for months.  It is doubtful that they infiltrated the sealed
environment so it is more likely that they were present in the soil.
None were museum pests but the exhibit didn't remain pest free even
if it started out that way.

The other thing that we learned during that first season as the
exhibit went on, and in subsequent seasons, was which plantings
maintained their appearance in the interior exhibit environment.  A
lot of the plants looked peaked after a relatively short period of
time so they were swapped out on a regular basis.  I would make sure
that you consult a knowledgeable landscaper to determine how long
things might last under your expected conditions and what might be
necessary to care for them over the four months.  What seems like a
simple idea at first could become an expensive proposition if you
are buying multiple plants/trees or paying for services to care for
them.

The major landscaping problem in our first year was related to the
larger trees that did a lot to bulk out the landscaping visually. We
replaced contaminated ficus trees with "fakes".  When we went to the
warehouse to pick them out we pleasantly surprised at how good they
looked.  Depending on the kind of plant and the quality of the
manufacture, you had to be touching them to notice that they weren't
"real".  Might silk do for your curator?

It is always easier to say "No".  Sometimes it is even the right
thing to do!  But it is often much more satisfying to figure out a
way to how you can help.  As you think about how to guide the
discussion with your curator I would also consider the following:

    Do you currently monitor for pests in those spaces?  i.e. do you
    have a sense of what your local population might be so that you
    can consider the implications of adding additional humidity?

    What other collection items and materials will be in the two
    rooms of exhibition?

    Are you concerned with things spreading out from those two
    rooms?

    What are your capabilities for monitoring using sticky traps
    within the galleries and in adjacent areas?

In my work with the IPM Working Group we mention the prohibition
against plants and flowers as a general preventive measure and there
are certainly valid reasons for the recommendation.  But it may be
with careful consideration of the type of plant (i.e. some are
better food sources for museum pests than others), working with an
experienced landscape designer/vendor, increased pest monitoring,
and other measures in this vein could allow you to do this exhibit
safely.  I think discussing with your curator what measures might be
necessary and the potential financial and labor costs involved to
achieve his vision might allow you to have a productive discussion
without making you out to be the kill-joy.

Rachael Perkins Arenstein
A.M. Art Conservation, LLC
Art Conservation, Preservation and Collection Management

                Distributed: Sunday, September 25, 2011