Subject: Glass cell batteries

Glass cell batteries

From: Sebastian Foxley <bowtieseb<-a>
Date: Tuesday, September 6, 2011
I have a set of glass cell batteries to conserve. I believe the
batteries are a variation of the Leclanche cell but a smaller design
than the original Leclanche cell with a fabric packet containing
manganese dioxide instead of a ceramic pot around the cathode. There
are also what I think are strips of rubber around the fabric packet
acting as a spacer between it and the zinc anode.

The liquid contents of the cells are no longer present but there are
white deposits over the internal components which I believe will be
ammonium chloride and zinc chloride.  The copper alloy terminals and
the anode are heavily corroded, the packets containing manganese
dioxide are damaged in some cases and the rubber has degraded.

So far I have not attempted and may not be able to remove the
internal components from the glass cell jars.  I can clean up the
outside of the jars but would like to know if it is possible or
advisable to do anything to stabilise the internal components. I
would be interested to hear from anyone who has experience with this
type of object.

Sebastian Foxley
Object Conservator
Wiltshire Council
Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre
Cocklebury Road
Chippenham
Wilts SN15 3QN
+44 1249 705522
Fax: +44 1249 705527

                Distributed: Tuesday, September 20, 2011