Subject: Call for abstracts--AICCM Book, Paper and Photographic Materials Symposium

Call for abstracts--AICCM Book, Paper and Photographic Materials Symposium

From: Kim Barrett <kim.barrett<-a>
Date: Monday, September 5, 2011
Call for abstracts

7th Book, Paper and Photographic Materials Symposium, August 2012.

Deadline: 14 October 2011

The 7th Book, Paper and Photographic Materials Symposium will be
held in Brisbane, Australia at the State Library of Queensland from
the 29-31 August 2012.

The organising committee now welcomes abstracts (maximum 300 words)
for papers on the three proposed topics to be included in the
pre-prints and presented at the Symposium.

There will be call out for poster submissions late in 2011.

The format of the Symposium is planned to differ slightly from
previous years with each day focussing on one topic.

These three proposed topics are:

    Disasters: small or large and what we have learnt

        The disasters we are targeting in this topic encompass not
        only the natural and man-made, such as fire, flood and
        earthquakes but also the devastating effects smaller
        disasters such as treatment errors, and poor handling,
        storage and display conditions can have on books, paper and
        photographic materials.

    Conserving born digital collections: library, archive and
    gallery perspectives

        Born digital collection material--what is it and what do we
        do with it? What challenges does this type of material
        present to the traditional paper and photographic
        conservator? What training is being undertaken within your
        institution? What skills and areas of expertise do you
        envisage using in the next 5 years? We welcome case studies
        that will highlight the complexity and evolution of duties
        in this area.

    Conservation issues, Storage, Display and Transportation of
    contemporary works

        Contemporary works and materials present many challenges for
        the conservator. We would like to know how you have met
        these challenges. What procedures have you/your institution
        developed for dealing with complex contemporary works?

        What innovative packing methods, devices and handling
        techniques have been developed in order to meet the display,
        loan or storage requirements of your collection? What
        procedures do you have in place regarding master and
        exhibition copies for certain types of works and how is this
        negotiated within your institution?  How has your programme
        of interviewing artists influenced your treatment practice
        for their works?

Please submit your abstract (maximum 300 words) by 14 October 2011

    Kim Barrett
    Works on paper Conservator
    Queensland Art Gallery
    GPO Box 3686
    South Brisbane QLD 4101
    Australia
    +61 7 3842 9296
    kim.barrett<-a t->qag< . >qld< . >gov< . >au

If you would like to discuss a proposed paper before submitting an
abstract or would like further information on any aspect of the
Symposium please do not hesitate to contact a member of the
organising committee:

    Kim Barrett
    +61 7 3842 9296
    kim.barrett<-a t->qag< . >qld< . >gov< . >au

    Lydia Egunnike
    +61 415 605 598
    lcegunn<-a t->gmail< . >com

    Caroline O'Rorke
    +61 7 3374 2875
    corcac<-a t->tpg< . >com< . >au

    Samantha Shellard. Phone
    +61 7 3842 9296
    samantha.shellardWhich is found in this domain_qag,qld.gov.au

    Rachel Spano
    +61 7 3840 9068
    rachel.spano<-a t->slq< . >qld< . >gov< . >au

                Distributed: Tuesday, September 20, 2011