Subject: Storing campaign medals

Storing campaign medals

From: Myriam Lavoie <myriamlavoie<-a>
Date: Tuesday, September 6, 2011
Rachel Weatherall <rcw47 [at] cam__ac__uk> writes

>I am currently researching for a suitable method of storing a
>collection of approximately 400 campaign (war) medals made of gold,
>silver or copper alloy with silk ribbons attached.  I would be
>interested in anyone's experiences in re-housing a medal collection
>with conservation grade materials and the methods they used.  The
>collection is currently housed in clear PVC envelopes which,
>although not good from a conservation standing, means the silk is
>not put under as much pressure when handled and both sides of the
>medal can be viewed easily.

Although I do not have much experience with medals, I do know that
the problem with PVC sleeves is that the plasticizers can migrate to
the surface of the plastic and from there, to the medals.  Cleaning
of the plasticizers can be difficult (and costly) to remove from
metals, and I am sure it would be almost impossible to clean from
damaged silk. If you are looking for clear sleeves to protect the
medals and still have access to both sides, they can easily be made
from other plastics that would be more appropriate, for instance
Mylar.  Since you need several hundreds you can probably have a
model or two custom made in a local box or envelope making company.
Here is a reference that might be of interest, and it contains a
more thorough bibliography at the bottom:
<URL:http://www.cci-icc.gc.ca/crc/notes/html/9-4-eng.aspx>

Myriam Lavoie
Sculpture Conservator
Centre de Conservation du Quebec

                Distributed: Tuesday, September 20, 2011