Subject: Storing campaign medals

Storing campaign medals

From: Valerie Tomlinson <vtomlinson<-a>
Date: Monday, September 5, 2011
Rachel Weatherall <rcw47 [at] cam__ac__uk> writes

>I am currently researching for a suitable method of storing a
>collection of approximately 400 campaign (war) medals made of gold,
>silver or copper alloy with silk ribbons attached.  I would be
>interested in anyone's experiences in re-housing a medal collection
>with conservation grade materials and the methods they used.  The
>collection is currently housed in clear PVC envelopes which,
>although not good from a conservation standing, means the silk is
>not put under as much pressure when handled and both sides of the
>medal can be viewed easily.

I would strongly recommend switching from using the PVC enclosures
to using the Mylar, polyethylene or polypropylene enclosures
designed for numismatics, or if a clear box is required, try
polystyrene or acrylic display boxes. Stewart boxes in the UK had a
range of such boxes last time I worked in the UK (back in the stone
age), or Durphy Packaging in the US also provides such things. These
are often used to store archaeological metal.

Valerie Tomlinson
Conservator
Auckland Museum
Tamaki Paenga Hira
The Domain, Private Bag 92018, Auckland 1142, New Zealand
+64 9 306 7068

                Distributed: Tuesday, September 20, 2011