Subject: Barcoding

Barcoding

From: Angela Musil-Jantjes <angela.musil-jantjes<-a>
Date: Tuesday, September 6, 2011
Olivia Eller <olivia.eller [at] strasbourg__eu> writes

>At the museum of the History of Strasbourg (France) we are about to
>implement the bar code system for marking and tracing every artefact
>conserved there. ...

Not knowing your registration system it is difficult to comment on
the usefulness of a barcode system in your particular case. Is the
barcoding facility an integral part of your system that you are just
activating now or will it be an add-on? If so, how will the
information from the barcodes be transferred to main registration
system? Will it depend on human input, i.e. someone authorizing the
transfer of information from the barcode system to the main register
or is it automatic? Many questions there to think about, but if you
decide to use barcodes I would advise you to first survey your
collection carefully. For a collection consisting mainly of large
objects it may be enough to have a barcode for each piece. If you
have many small items you may want to create another tier in the
system, so that you can for example barcode a box containing mainly
individually barcoded items. Having 100 barcodes on several sides of
a smallish box is not practical.

Angela Musil-Jantjes
Conservator
Nasjonalmuseet for kunst, arkitektur og design
The National Museum of Art, Architecture and Design
PO Box 7014
St. Olavs plass
NO-0130 Oslo
+47 2198 2283

                Distributed: Tuesday, September 20, 2011