Subject: Barcoding

Barcoding

From: Julie O'Connor <joconnor<-a>
Date: Sunday, September 4, 2011
Olivia Eller <olivia.eller [at] strasbourg__eu> writes

>At the museum of the History of Strasbourg (France) we are about to
>implement the bar code system for marking and tracing every artefact
>conserved there. ...

The Australian National maritime Museum (ANMM) has been using
barcodes to track objects for some time. I am involved in a textile
storage project at the ANMM. Registration staff move objects to the
conservation lab for storage and back to the storage area
afterwards. We are storing like objects with like objects Eg jackets
with jackets and like materials together Eg, Silk and wool fibres
together. So barcodes are a fast and efficient way of tracking the
object on the Museum System.

Julie O'Connor
Senior Textile Conservator
Australian National Maritime Museum
Wharf 7
Heritage Centre
58 Pirrama Road
Pyrmont Sydney NSW 2009

GPO Box 5131
Sydney NSW 2001 Australia
+61 2 9298 3778
Fax: +61 2 9298 3780

                Distributed: Tuesday, September 20, 2011