Subject: Fumigation of motor collection

Fumigation of motor collection

From: Colin P. Smith <inholms1<-a>
Date: Friday, September 9, 2011
Kasi Albert <albert.kasi [at] dpc__sa__gov__au> writes

>A large motor collection is currently having a problem with a spider
>infestation and are concerned about the possible health and safety
>implications, so have consulted a pest control company with regards
>to the possible fumigation of the museum space. ...
>
>The proposed chemicals are: ...

...>aqueous mixtures of 5-chloro-2-methyl-2H-isothiazol-3-one and
>...  Pestigas (by BOC Limited), which
>contains solvent naphtha (petroleum), pyrethrum, carbon dioxide and
>piperonyl butoxide. The Pestigas MSDS in particular warns of
>potential problems if it comes into contact with plastics or
>oil-based paints. The fumigants are most likely to be applied as
>sprays or fogs.

I think we have to be careful with our terminology. Pestigas is not
a fumigant. In fact in most countries these days there are no
fumigants left which you could legally use in a collection. Pestigas
is a an aerosol and therefore will not penetrate. The general rule
is that if it is not a gas, it's not a fumigant. I have undertaken
many treatments of motor car and carriage collections using anoxia
and carbon dioxide fumigations. The nice thing about these
treatments is the fact that the long exposure period gives you time
to carry out deep pest control treatments in the structure of the
building, whilst the collection (whatever it is) is safely enclosed
in gas tight bags.

Colin Smith
Managing Director, Colin Smith Conservation Ltd.
Direct line +44 1444 400481
Mobile:+44 7777672250
Alternate email address: colininnovation<-a t->googlemail< . >com Please copy
    all emails to this address.

                Distributed: Tuesday, September 20, 2011