Subject: Storing campaign medals

Storing campaign medals

From: Rachel Weatherall <rcw47<-a>
Date: Wednesday, August 31, 2011
I am currently researching for a suitable method of storing a
collection of approximately 400 campaign (war) medals made of gold,
silver or copper alloy with silk ribbons attached.  I would be
interested in anyone's experiences in re-housing a medal collection
with conservation grade materials and the methods they used.  The
collection is currently housed in clear PVC envelopes which,
although not good from a conservation standing, means the silk is
not put under as much pressure when handled and both sides of the
medal can be viewed easily.

Rachel Weatherall
ICON/HLF Intern - Preventive/Coins and Medals Conservation
Fitzwilliam Museum
Trumpington Street
Cambridge CB2 1RB

                Distributed: Saturday, September 3, 2011