Subject: Alum tawed pigskin

Alum tawed pigskin

From: Maria Chiara Brancaleoni <m.chiarabrancaleoni<-a>
Date: Tuesday, August 30, 2011
I am a book conservator and I live and work in Umbria. Currently,
I'm working on a German binding from the 16th century. The cover is
bound in alum tawed pigskin and it is very dirty. I'm aware of the
difficulties related to the treatment of this kind of leather, and I
would like to know what is the best conservation treatment for
cleaning and (if possible) lubricating this kind of material.

Maria Chiara Brancaleoni

                Distributed: Saturday, September 3, 2011