Subject: High impasto oil paintings

High impasto oil paintings

From: Stephanie Vuillemenot <vuillesteph<-a>
Date: Tuesday, August 23, 2011
I am currently carrying out research on high impasto in modern oil
paintings on canvas for my final dissertation at Northumbria
University, Newcastle (UK). The project is more specifically
focusing on paintings by Gillian Ayres (British painter who started
to work in the middle of the 20th century) as case studies. In that
perspective, I am interested in the issues that impasto can raise
for conservation regarding its behaviour and mechanical properties.
In particular, I am looking into the long term stability of the
artwork, problems caused by the weight of the paint layer and the
impact of high impasto on the drying of the paint layer(s). Another
aspect treated in this project is the different types of treatments
and materials that are suitable for such paintings, for instance the
effect that lining can have on impasto and therefore alternatives to
lining that can be used.

If you have encountered any of those issues, your opinion would be
greatly appreciated. Please contact me at vuillesteph<-a t->gmail< . >com

Stephanie Vuillemenot
MA Conservation of Fine Art (Easel Paintings)
Northumbria University
Newcastle upon Tyne
United Kingdom

                Distributed: Saturday, September 3, 2011