Subject: Venetian papier mache mask

Venetian papier mache mask

From: Lisa Fox <lisa.fox<-a>
Date: Monday, August 22, 2011
Olaya Balcells <olaya.balcells [at] gmail__com> writes

>One of my clients brought me a Venetian papier-mache mask, which is
>completely distorted in the forehead. Could anyone give me advice on
>what to do?
>
>Normally my work revolves around books, so I have no experience on
>papier-mache, but I think the mask could regain his form with
>humidification. Am I right? If so, is it possible to make a homemade
>humidifier chamber?

As a preservation administrator, I can't answer your question about
reshaping papier mache.

However, I can offer guidance about constructing a simple
humidification chamber with readily available materials.
Instructions are online at

    <URL:http://www.sos.mo.gov/archives/
        localrecs/conservation/notes/humidification.asp>

    or

    <URL:http://tinyurl.com/42hcobn>.

    **** Moderator's comments: The above URL has been wrapped for
    email. There should be no newline.

Lisa L. Fox, Preservation Administrator
Missouri State Archives
600 W. Main Street
Jefferson City, MO 65101--USA

                Distributed: Saturday, September 3, 2011