Subject: Venetian papier mache mask

Venetian papier mache mask

From: Olaya Balcells <olaya.balcells<-a>
Date: Tuesday, August 16, 2011
One of my clients brought me a Venetian papier-mache mask, which is
completely distorted in the forehead. Could anyone give me advice on
what to do?

Normally my work revolves around books, so I have no experience on
papier-mache, but I think the mask could regain his form with
humidification. Am I right? If so, is it possible to make a homemade
humidifier chamber?

Olaya Balcells
Book conservator
Santiago - Chile