Subject: Removing damar or mastic varnish

Removing damar or mastic varnish

From: Ashley Bartman <ashleybartman<-a>
Date: Monday, August 8, 2011
I have small samples of 16th century paper which have been coated
with some sort of resin or varnish. I believe it to be Damar or
Mastic Varnish mixed with a yellow pigment. I have tried several
easily available solvents already including alcohol, water, toluene,
acetone, mixes of these, turpentine, and hexane. Is there any
mixture or solvent that I have not tried that could remove varnish
this old?

Ashley Bartman
The Ohio State University

                 Distributed: Saturday, August 20, 2011